So, I realized about a month ago that I packed far too much luggage when I had to send a package from Dublin to Bordeaux because I had too many things. On Sunday I boarded the train for Périgueux with my 5 pieces of luggage "in hand." My French family in Bordeaux asked if I thought I was going to a developing country- so, I guess I didn't have to bring a years supply of vitamins! Note to self.
I am staying with one of the English teachers from the high school that I will be working at. The school is called Lycée Jay de Beaufort. I first dumped off my luggage at Fabienne's house and was soon off for a walk around my new town. The architecture is beautiful, like most French cities. There are little tiny streets that cars cannot drive down. There are an endless amount of little boutiques ranging from, haute couture, shoes, cheese, chocolate, sausage furniture, ect. But, most importantly they have cafés everywhere, as well as delicious pastries. I had my first pastry in France today, an almond croissant (best one I've every had!). It is so hard to resist those amazing pastries when they taste as good as the look and smell.
Périgueux is basically in a valley surrounded by beautiful green mountains/hills. It is in the middle of the countryside.
Then the next day I went with Fabienne to the school to get my "free" apartment's keys (basically a large dorm room). Little did I know I was going to meet all the administration and get a full tour of the school. Everyone is so nice and helpful.
Ok, so I wasn't expecting anything when I entered the apartment or I didn't picture anything. But, as soon as I entered my heart dropped: wallpaper peeling with water stains with rust colored carpet that is basically felt (a plus: I do have my own bathroom!). It's not a small studio where I can cover the walls with posters, it's too empty with one twin bed and two desks. My surroundings and living environment have always made a big impact on my state of mind and happiness. So, basically, I started to panic. The place was horrible.
Fabienne left me alone for a while so, I started to research studios. Oh yes, I forgot to mention, the main other problem, the night before she had informed me that I will be having a roommate for a while, probably only a month until they find the other teacher a room! When the French say a month, it could mean 3 months.
After writing out the pros and cons of renting a place vs. staying in the 1970's flat, I decided that saving money for my masters is the most important and I am going to grin and bare it. Dun, dun, dun. So today, Fabienne and I went to about 10 stores to get decorations, and then to the farmer's market ( I was in heaven!) to buy fabric to hang on the walls.
Friday we are having a decorate Holly's room afternoon. They are so wonderful here, driving me everywhere, cooking, bringing me to meet family in the country. For all of you who don't like France for some odd reason (um... Dad!), you really have to meet these teachers, they are amazing!
I have my new phone number, it is +33777071485. Side note: +33 is the country code, and you need this to dial outside the US. Most new cell phones have the plus sign, but if not you can substitute it with 00, so it would be 0033777071485. Another reason to love France (DAD) is that for wireless internet, cable, and unlimited international calls it only costs 30 euros, which is around 40 dollars. Nice, huh?
Let's see if anything else interesting has taken place... Ok, so yesterday morning Fabienne asked me to come to her class (I don't start teaching for another two weeks). There were about 20 students, which all but 5 were extremely passive and shy (supposedly most French students are like that, sorry don't like to generalize). They were able to ask me questions, but most of them wouldn't give me eye contact because the didn't want to talk. I guess French teachers let the students not answer, but not the new crazy American teacher :), I made them all talk. I used to hate when teachers did that to me!! But, in the end, I loved it and I can't wait for my teaching to start.
Will post before and after photos soon of my new room.
Much love. Bisous.
Holly, love your blog, your "before" and "after" shots of your room (it is beautiful now!), the picture of you roaming the streets of your city, imagining you savoring the delicious French pastry, and your subtle message to Joe Joe to fall in love with the French like you have (and you know I have too!) Miss you sweet Holly but can see that you are exactly where you need to be right now. Keep posting!
ReplyDeleteLove you,
Glo