Hello everyone!
So, it has been just over two weeks now since I left beautiful sunny California. My trip started out with two great weeks in Ireland. I stayed with my dad's first cousin, Joe and his wife, Monica. I got to meet a lot of my dad's other relatives too. They were so sweet and they showed me everything.
I went to Dublin, Cork and Galway. The county of Galway is by far my favorite. There were rolling green hills, mountains and lakes. We had to stop occasionally on the little side roads because of cows or sheep. The best were the cows on a beach, laying down, looking like they are trying to tan.
If I could generalize or sum up the Irish in a couple of words it would be: they love beer, french fries (well any sort of potato), fried fish, singing, and swearing. The best phrase they use is "Genie Mac," which is a nicer version of "oh my God," (they also tend to through in a couple of cuss words).
I am now enjoying the wonderful life as a wanna-be French person :). I have been day dreaming quite a bit and thinking of the things I would like to say and by the time I construct the phrase they have moved on to another subject. Mais non (but no), it's not that bad, now I find myself just saying whatever just so I can practice. Yesterday I asked a lady directions just so I can practice (I already knew where I was walking).
I am staying with one of my favorite family's friends, la famille Harribey, in Pessac, which is about 15 minutes from the center of Bordeaux. They are so sweet and are so far putting up with me asking what everything means. They said once a week they would like to have a day to practice their English, good compromise I think. The people from the southwest of France have a very different accent from what I am used to.
This past weekend they took me to the beach. I remember from my study abroad time in France that the women go topless and the men wear speedos. That is definitely a strange concept for me, but as they say we are just prude Americans. Anyways, we parked the car in a small forest, then walked over sand dunes, and when I saw the beach I had to rub my eyes because I couldn't believe what I was seeing. More than half the people were NUDE, completely! OMGoodness. So, I asked the adorable young boy, Matthieu, (that I am staying with) if it is normal. And he said, "mais OUI holly." So, for all of us that are a little timid in swimsuits, ne t'inquiète pas (don't worry), everyone else is nude.
More updates to follow. A bienôt ma famille et mes amis!
Bisous
Feel as though i am right there with you! Thanks for living and sharing your dream. xoxo
ReplyDeleteHolly Marie- I'm LOVING your blog! It makes me so happy that you are staying with Didier and Jocelyn and experiencing the French lifestyle- nude beaches and all!
ReplyDeleteLove to you sweet Holly,
Glo
Ma chere Holly...quelles histoires deja...dit bonjour a toute la famille Harribey...amuse toi bien...Dr.Sweet
ReplyDeleteHolly-We love your blog and look forward to a years worth of your adventures. We love and miss you very much, Mom and family
ReplyDeleteHolly!
ReplyDeleteTrying out the "nude" life!! You go girl!!
Miss you so much already, but love your blog. Feels like I am there! Enjoy life, live it up!!
Love you lots!
Streudel
Hi Strudel, I did not venture into the unknown of public nudity. I think I should learn a little more of the language first :)
ReplyDeleteHi Hol! Love your blog, you did an awesome job!
ReplyDeleteIt looks so wonderful there....maybe I will get Poppy to come visit yet!
Lots of love to you!
Mops
Hi hols!
ReplyDeleteI love your blog! I love where you are! I wish we could be with you, you lucky girl. I must say that the nude thing is not something I ever experienced, but hey...go with the flow girlfriend! We love you and miss your beautiful smile. Can't wait to hear more as time goes on..
Hi,Ms Holly! I don't seem to have the right moves to get a message to you on your wonderful blog, but I will try again! What a great job you did with this, and what fun you must have had doing it!!! I marvel at your determination to get things done, and then do it in style! Great genes you have!!!HA! I know you will take that same determination on to your next step of teaching English to the French kids. What a great experience for our "FGD" (Favorite grand daughter). Know that you will be missed and thought of often with much love. Poppers
ReplyDelete