Coucou Mes Amis!
It has been quite a long while since I have last written on here. There have been many reasons for this, one which includes the fact that nothing much new has been going on.
I just finished a great few days with my cousins from Ireland. We wined and dined, literally. I had one of my favorite dishes I think I have ever had. It was a white fish, called Pollack, served with a pea purée and passion fruit purée with a side of white asparagus. Mouth watering to say the least! We also went to visit a small village called Les Eyzies, which is where you can see actual caves where cave people were. The village was gorgeous, with the beautiful river running through it, and the homes nestled into the huge rocky mountainside. Unfortunately, the cave tour is closed on Tuesdays (what a random day!), so I will try to go back next week to check them out!
The past two months or so I have been spending a lot of time with my adorable and loving landlady, or as I like to refer to her as, Madame. She has been treating me to amazing meals, and I have tried some foods that I normally never ever would experience.
As most of you know, at the age of 7 I stopped eating meat (but I decided that chicken nuggets/fingers weren't "actual" meat haha so I would be able to eat them still). I stopped because my little friend across the street told me about his experience learning where meat REALLY comes from. Ok, no, it doesn't just fall out of the sky conveniently into Safeway or Trader Joes.
But, this past summer I made the conscious decision to be more opened minded, and to fully embrace my year ahead. So, I first started it with sausages and bread pudding in Ireland. Then, I moved to the duck liver, gizzards, lamb, rabbit, and veal capital of the world.
I think I made the mistake of not telling Madame I don't eat meat, because I have now tasted the following...
- kidney
- sweet breads
-lamb
-poor baby veal
- tons of steak
- and more lamb
- maybe some things I didn't know what they were (probably better that way)
On a positive note, I now love mushrooms, and different types of fish!
In a week and a half I will be leaving this meat-loving region, and will be off to a pasta loving one! Sicily!!! I recently found my cousins in Sicily- the internet does amazing things. They are my Grandfather's first cousin's daughters (complicated, yes!), Emanuela and Chiara. I will have the pleasure of staying with them for two weeks, while going back to my family roots.
Then, I will hop on a plane back to the CA sun! So get ready :).
Until then, many hugs and much love!
Holly
I'm so happy to hear you've been eating real food. Bring back a sweet breads recipe!
ReplyDelete-Mikie