So, Christmas came and went with a blink of an eye, and I have not probably made a "shout-out" to my amazing family and friends that made it so special. Yes, my dear Dad (some may refer to him as the man in show business, or joe schmoe) bought me a ticket home as a surprise!
I told A.J, one of very special brothers (and I cannot forgot to mention that he is a single bagpiper, who wants a girl that has a sweet voice, can drive, not too talk, and that likes the bagpipes), that I would write about our awesome trip to Target for the stocking stuffers- yes, Dad said he would fly my home on one condition, I do his shopping for him, and this year my mom added "santa" to his list, which meant I had to buy the things for the stockings (and which also meant, I am getting older, and waking up to Santa's stockings was no longer a surprise!) :)
So, A.J. and I spent around 3 hours in Target trying to find the "perfect" fillers. We went down every isle at least 3 times just to make sure we didn't forget anything. It was such a fun bonding experience! I think our Dad will even be so kind to let us endure the fun again next year of going to Target 2 days before Christmas at 10 pm :). Regardless of the stress, the mission was accomplished and we had a lot of fun doing it (wow, I am so much grateful for my mom doing that job all of those years!).
Our cart consisted of a wide array of treasures; candy (sorry, Poppy), socks, underwear, cookies, colognes, aprons, cd's. A.J. was a great help! Thanks, A.J.!
Shortly after returning to France in January, my dear friend, Mo, can to visit here in Périgueux. We had a blast, and it was so nice having someone's constant company. One weekend we decided to rent a car, with my friend, Suzanne, from New York. The car was really inexpensive since we rented it online, but we did a couple of silly things, like registering it for a day too much, and then, not realizing that there was a mileage limit and it was 30 cents extra for every kilometer over (that turned out to be 50 euros none of us girls anticipated on forking out).
Well, I obviously should have paid more attention to when both my dad and brother tried to teach me how to drive stick, because Mo ended up driving all three days. Actually I did try to build up the courage to give it a go, by driving around in the Marriot's parking lot, but I was too worried to risk it.
The first day we went to Toulouse and ended up staying at a 4 star Marriot and with Mo's employee discount only had to pay 30 euros! The city of Toulouse was not my favorite that I have been to in France. It is not "traditionally" French, at least in reference to the architecture; the buildings were all made out of brick. There was security guards everywhere and it was actually quite dirty. I think I was picturing it to be a smaller city with more of a warm feel to it.
Toulouse is famous for their violet flavored and scented things. Many of you may have tried the violet flavored gum they used to sell in candy shops. Violets are a very delicate flower are fall apart easily when you pick them. One day a family decided to store the fallen petals in sugar, and then one thing led to another and now the city is known for their tasty violet candies and other sweets.
That night we found a local pub alongside the canal, and we ended up having an awesome time. The music was awesome and the people were really friendly. Then, we went to a little pizzeria on the way back to the hotel. The girls made a mistake by letting me sit with the pizza, because little did they know the Italian in me would sneak out and steal almost all the olives off the top- sorry! :).
The next day we were off to Pau, which I visited with the Stenzel's when I was 12. Since all of us are on some sort of budget, we decided to take the non-toll roads. Best idea yet! It was stunning (and it was my turn to sit in the front passenger seat) with the view of the Pyrenne's Mountains on the left and the endless fields on the right. The air was so crisp and clean. We stopped at a castle and a chocolate shop along the way.
While on route, we say the sign for Loudres, which is a Catholic/Christian sacred place where it is said Mary appeared. I also went there when I was 12, but I thought would be well worth the 30 minute detour to see it as an adult. It was well worth it. All around the sight were benches that had labels, which designated them for the sick. There were people of all ages and background, all coming together for one puropse, to pray. There were stores everywhere selling little plastic and glass containers to collect the Holy Water to bring home to loved ones. The Water is said to heal people. It was a really moving experience, and if you are ever in the south of France you should go.
Next was Pau, and there we stayed in a Best Western that was adorable- and the best part was that it included an awesome breakfast! In Pau we ate at a tasty Italian restaurant. Well, actually, I didn't like mine too much because I could have sworn the cream sauce was made out of foie gras- a.k.a. duck liver. But, the banana split was definitely something to write home about- extra sprinkles and whipped cream!- that's what happens when Mo makes friends with the waiter :).
Bayonne was next on our list for Sunday, and aside from the cold and cloudy weather, the town itself and the architecture were once again not typically french. The buildings looked more German and they were along a canal. It was beautiful.
Then, our handy google maps on my phone showed that Biarritz was only 15 minutes away. Score! There we were, sidetracking again. We loved it! Right on the ocean, with amazing look-out points. Biarritz is on the Atlantic Coast and is known for there great surf. I am definitely going back when it is warmer.
While making our voyage back, with Mo still driving, we decided once again to take the non-pay roads. I was nice and cosy in the back, dosing off every now and then, when all of a sudden I woke up to policemen waving us over to pull onto the side of the road. Oops!!!
"Ok, girls, pretend like you don't speak French." I don't know whether that was Suz's or Mo's idea, but it was a brilliant one. The two strapping men in uniforms demanded, "turn off your engine, please." Me and Suz reminding ourselves don't speak French, don't speak French. "Turn off your engine," he said once again, but this time in English.
Uh oh... hahaha. "your driver's permit, please." I was trying to hard not to laugh in the back. Lucky for us, the policemen were thrilled we were foreigners from California driving through their tiny village out in the middle of nowhere. I think it did help that Mo kept on smiling at him; she even considered offering them our cookies in the back but then, decided against it.
He told us that normally, when a person is driving 50 mph in a 30 zone, in France they normally take away your license there on the spot, and you have to stay with them until you have a court date- I think he meant in the town, and not in their jail, but luckily we didn't have to find out. Shortly after, we were on the road again, listening to the French radio station that loved playing "Somewhere over the rainbow," the Hawaiian artist's newer version, that I think came out in the US 3 years ago and is now just getting popular here!
Us girls had a great trip, with many fond memories made. Just be careful speeding in France, they take themselves very seriously.
This weekend...
This has been a completely relaxed and non-stress weekend consisting of several baguettes and desserts :). First, was the traditional and very yummy crème brulée, then, the Prince Noir (black prince), which was crème brulée covered in chocolate mousse with candied cherries, and a chocolate fondant (oh my goodness, it was sinful!); and lastly, the raspberry soufflée tart (oh my goodness, again!).
Don't you worry though, I will not need to be rolled through customs in April, I have been going to the gym!
Last night a few friends and I went to the new and upcoming "swanky" bar in Périgueux. The ambiance was amazing with the 15th century stone walls and high ceilings. One thing that I didn't like there was seeing a pregnant woman, probably around 5 months, drinking her wine and going out her occasional smoke. Probably about half of my students smoke, or maybe even more. There is a huge sticker on cigarette boxes which says, SMOKING KILLS, but it does not have very profound impact obviously. It is quite funny because they make fun of Americans for being "straight-edged" and not smoking- it's quite ironic.
Well, that's it for now. I hope you are all having a good weekend.
xoxo
No comments:
Post a Comment