Monday, October 11, 2010

Land of the Cheese

Before I start rambling on about my time in abroad, I promised my dear brother, A.J. that I would make a little "shout out" for him. The other day he asked me why I always talk about France and not about HIS hobbies, jobs, dreams, ect. And when I started talking about looking into masters programs and trying to figure out what I want to do for a career, A.J. kindly offered me a job as his full-time assistant.

Attention all: My brother A.J. is 27 years old. He is single and definitely looking for a girlfriend. His only real requirement for a girlfriend is that she has to be able to drive, well and a plus would be that she loves the bagpipes. Also, A.J. is a bagpipe player himself, people like to refer to him as "the piper" or "the ladiesman." He loves his talking computer and pepperoni pizza with extra garlic.

Ok, now back to France (sorry, A.J). So, I literally just walked in the door with a hot baguette from the bakery across the street. I am now enjoying it with some olive oil and balsamic vinegar- yummy! I joined a gym here so hopefully I won't turn into a butterball.

The beginning of last week I started teaching full-time (which means 12 hours a week for the language assistants). The students for the most part were silent and could not care less about what I was talking about. I told them, "Don't worry, I don't bite," and then they stared at me blankly like I'm some crazy American who has no idea what she's talking about- maybe that's true :).

On Friday, my friend, Katharina (she's the German assistant teaching at my school), and I went on a 3 hour excursion/exploration through the countryside of Périgueux. It was gorgeous! I could have kept on walking for several more hours but it was getting dark.

We then went off to a Zumba class, which is a latin aerobic dance that I also did in the U.S. So, after our long walk and one hour of dancing we were off to a "Ska" concert. It was verrryyyy interesting. The music was so loud that the free ear-plugs didn't work, and every french person was under the influence of something. We did not fit in, to say the least, but it was a good new experience as I am trying to become more cultured in my ripe old age of 24.

The next morning we were off to the farmer's market to buy produce, cheese, bread and fresh squeezed juice from the local farmers. We went with two of Kat's friends to a cave about one hour from here. The Périgord region is famous for their caves, yet unfortunately, I did not fully understand how the crystals were formed due to the whole language barrier thing :).

And then, I fell in love (again with a city) and not with a Frenchman. Dad- you don't have to worry. I would move to Sarlat in a heart-beat. Preferably I would like to have a house in the U.S. and one in Sarlat (it's ok to dream big), but I need to figure out the job situation first. Sarlat was stunning, charming and very intimate with the cobblestone streets, tempting bakeries, the small nooks with the hidden restaurants and cafés . The buildings were made out of old stone and from most windows there were flower boxes hung with geraniums. It is the most charming city I have ever been to, a must for all visitors!

Sunday we were invited to a student's home to have lunch and spend the day. Their house is huge, cozy, and well, typically french. It was very rainy and damp so the mom made a fire and I helped make crêpes- I was on cloud-nine. The mom has offered her home, her car, her hospitality and comfort for whenever we need it. Their family loves California and the daughter loves In and Out and Costco pepperoni pizza!

Anyways, I was supposed to have 4 classes today, all of which are an hour long. And, guess what? Three of the four classes didn't show! As most of you know, the French love strikes. I really don't understand the concept, but anytime they disagree with anything in the slightest they don't go to work and the country basically shuts down. Tomorrow is a huge strike! The government wants to increase the minimum retirement age to 62. No airplanes, trains, school, or banks will be open or running.

Alright, that is all for now. Much love from the Land of the Cheese!

3 comments:

  1. Holly;
    I love the way you write!! It's the next best thing to being there!! Miss you so much!! HAve the time of your life!!
    Love you!
    Streudel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly, thank you for always keeping us up to date. I love your pictures and especially love your writing. We love you!!! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Holly this is fun to read! Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete